Ollerton, originally known as Alreton or Allerton, meaning ‘farm among the alders’, is situated at the crossroads of the York to London, Worksop to Newark, and Lincoln to Mansfield roads. Due to its location, in mediaeval times the village became a meeting place for forest officials, commissioners and Justices of the Peace, leading to the development of its two coaching inns, The White Hart and The Hop Pole.
For many years, the main occupation in Ollerton was hop growing – there were hop fields along the River Maun from as early as 1691 and a weekly hop market was held in the village on Fridays.
The Markhams – a land owning family – were highly influential in the village’s development. They built and lived in Ollerton Hall and the story of their life during the Civil War is immortalised in a book by Elizabeth Glaister.
Throughout the centuries, watermills have played an important part of life in Ollerton; today the only working watermill in Nottinghamshire can be found in the village, built in 1713 on the same spot as one of those listed in the Domesday Book. It houses an award-winning teashop, serving delicious home-made fare. If you are interested in the making of bespoke furniture and the restoration of antiques, the workshop at Hamlyn Lodge Cottage Industry welcomes visitors.
Ollerton Watermill and Tea Shop (Tel: 01623 822469/824094)
Hamlyn Lodge Cottage Industry (Tel: 01623 823600)
Ollerton Nature Trail (a leaflet can be obtained from the ODEF offices)
Parking: free and opposite the Hop Pole Hotel
'Old Ollerton' by David Otwell is published by Stenlake Publishing can be obtained from the Tourist Information Centre at Ollerton Roundabout.
The Ollerton and Village Residents' Association (OVRA) has a website that includes information about the newly-established 'Ollerton Pageant'.